Let a Family Law Attorney in Birmingham Fight for You
Legal issues related to the family are some of the most sensitive and important cases within the judicial system. Whether navigating a divorce, setting up a prenuptial agreement, or determining child support, things can quickly become emotionally intense and overwhelming. With this in mind, many people choose to seek legal advice from an experienced family law lawyer. When you need legal counsel on such important matters, family law lawyers in Birmingham are here to help.
What are the Areas of Family Law?
Family law is one of the more complex areas of the legal system, especially since many of the areas tend to intersect or overlap. For example, a divorce case may include the legal proceedings of the divorce itself as well as the legal proceedings of child support and child custody. Your lawyer will be able to assist you in all aspects of your case in this instance. Here are a few of the most common family law issues:
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. These legally binding documents are created with the help of a lawyer to help make a division of the estate and other assets easier in the event of divorce. It can also be a tool to outline roles within the marriage.
- Child support. Both parents have a legal responsibility to provide financially for their child, but the courts consider several factors when determining the matter.
- Child custody and guardianship. Both parents have legal visitation rights to their children, but that does not always mean joint custody. While this can be a messy and heated dispute, the courts and your lawyer will help to make the process clear as they seek the best outcome for the wellbeing of the child.
- Alimony. This type of spousal support is usually court-ordered after a legal battle in a divorce.
- Divorce. There are many complex legal concerns when ending a marriage, such as child support and custody, alimony, and division of assets in marriages without a prenuptial agreement.
- Adoption. A lawyer covering family law will be able to help during the happy moments of life as well, such as adopting a child.
How Can a Family Law Lawyer Help You?
While it is possible to represent yourself in a family court case, it may not be the best option for a few reasons. For starters, a family law matter can become heated and drawn out due to the emotional nature of the events. An experienced family law lawyer works on your legal behalf without the years of tension, resentment, and other tangled emotions in a divorce or child custody case. Aside from acting as a legal mediator between both parties to keep things civil, your lawyer will also have in-depth knowledge of the legal system and how to negotiate for the best possible outcome in your case. Best of all, a lawyer will be able to answer any legal questions you have during such a difficult and trying time in your personal life.
Do I Need a Lawyer for My Divorce?
While it is entirely possible to successfully (and legally) divorce in Alabama without hiring legal counsel, this is more of a rarity than the standard. If a divorce is truly amicable for both parties, and there are no marital assets or minor children involved, filing for divorce may be a matter of submitting the proper paperwork to the courts. The majority of divorces are not this clean and simple. In divorces where there are already high tensions, such as a divorce with assets or children involved or one with domestic violence, bringing in legal counsel is usually the only option to avoid heated, drawn-out negotiations. If you are unsure if your impending divorce would benefit from legal representation and mediation, speaking with a lawyer about the details of your individual case is a good starting point.
Can a Lawyer Help Modify Alimony or Child Support?
Once the separation is final and the courts have determined the alimony or child support payments, it can feel like an overwhelming financial sentence. Many people wonder if a family lawyer can help with these matters after the fact. The good news is that there are a few ways a family lawyer may be able to help. It may be possible to ask for an alimony or child support modification based on certain circumstances, such as loss of income creating an inability to pay or remarriage of a former spouse. While child support is typically determined using state guidelines, there may be instances when it needs to be modified either for a specified time period or indefinitely until the child is a legal adult. A lawyer will be able to offer legal counsel on your situation to find the best possible outcome for you and your family.
Let Us Help You Today
There are many reasons to seek representation in a family law case. From acting as your guide through the complex legal system to advocating for your best interest before a judge, lawyers are here to make the process easier to navigate. When you need legal counsel on a sensitive family issue, our law offices may be able to help. We are always happy to meet with you as you determine the level of legal assistance your case needs. For a consultation, contact our law firm at 205-881-5641 today to get started. We look forward to serving you with compassionate legal advice when you need it most.